A cygnet who swallowed a fishing line and hook has been reunited with his family after being rescued by the Scottish SPCA.
Scotland’s animal welfare charity was alerted on Wednesday, May 21, when the injured bird was spotted at Thurston Manor Leisure Park near Dunbar.
The cygnet was taken to a vets for treatment where the hook was successfully removed and he was returned to his home the following day.
Animal Rescue Officer Melissa Maitland said: “The cygnet was picked up by my colleagues after he was found with a fishing hook and line hanging from his beak.
“The dad was very protective while they tried to catch him but thankfully they got him as he needed urgent help.
“When I returned him on Thursday his parents were clearly very happy to have him back and it was a lovely moment.
“We’re really glad we were able to help this cygnet as he would have been unable to eat and would eventually have died.”
Melissa urged anglers to consider the welfare of wild animals.
She said: “Unfortunately, swans and other wild animals are injured by fishing tackle litter every year.
“Although the majority of fishing enthusiast are responsible and clear away their lines and tackle after use, sadly, there is a minority who do not.
“It’s vital that people make sure they clear away every last piece of fishing equipment as it really could save an animal’s life.”
Anyone who discovers an injured or distressed animal should call the Scottish SPCA Animal Helpline on 03000 999 999.