Funding has been secured for the restoration of the Crookston War Memorial, bearing the names of 61 soldiers from Wallyford, Whitecraig and Smeaton who were killed during the First World War.
The project is being carried out by Wallyford Community Council with a grant of £2,115 from the War Memorials Trust and £600 from East Lothian Council’s Civic Pride Fund.
The memorial was first erected at the former Crookston School, between Wallyford and Whitecraig, in the 1920s. When the school closed in 1956, local councillor, the late Jimmy Grant, had it relocated to a site just inside the gates of Inveresk Cemetery, where it remains today.
More local stories in this week’s Musselburgh News, on sale now.