* When plants become pot bound, pot on in spring into pots just one size larger in diameter than its old one.
* Place desert cacti on a sunny windowsill all year round, although full sun is not essential.
* In winter, provide a cool position with a minimum night temperature of 8-10C (46-50F) so they have a period of rest.
* Remove decaying or dead branches of established trees, to prepare for winter winds.
* Protect newly-planted evergreens with a temporary windbreak until they are established
* Group containers over the winter for mutual protection, wrapping up vulnerable pots and plants.
* Rotate your cropping plan on the vegetable plot to reduce any build-up of pest or disease, and to create the right levels of food in the ground for various crops.
* Use shears to cut back clumps of mint to near-ground level, and apply a top dressing of leaf mould or compost.
* Encourage the uppermost Brussels sprouts to swell by pinching out the stem tip.
* Check all crops in store regularly as the air becomes cold and humid.
* Continue to propagate trees and shrubs by taking hardwood cuttings.
* Prune wisteria to increase flowering next year.
* Lift begonia tubers, dry them and store in a cool, frost-free place.
* Ventilate the greenhouse on sunny days.
* Tidy borders for the winter by removing stakes, cutting back dying foliage and digging out perennial weeds.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Musselburgh
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 7 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: West